Positioned at the junction of Foster Lane and Gresham Street, north east of St. Paul’s Cathedral, the magnificent Hall, opened in 1835, is one of London’s hidden treasures.
The Hall is the third on this site, the Goldsmiths’ Company being located here since 1339. Little is known of the first Hall but the second was erected in 1634-6 and restored after the Great Fire of 1666. It lasted for almost two centuries, but was eventually demolished in the late 1820s. The present Hall, by Philip Hardwick, remains much as he designed it, although there have been changes to the decorative schemes and the use of rooms. The Hall narrowly escaped complete destruction when in 1941 a bomb exploded inside the south-west corner. Faithfully restored on the exterior after the War and internally modified, it retains much of the charm of an urban palazzo. A major refurbishment which was completed in 1990 has further adapted this great building for the 21st century.
The building has been protected for the last 12 years by an Electro Detectors Millennium system, but with the introduction of EN54 in 2011 the decision was made to replace the exitsing system with an EN54 Certified system. Thames Valley Fire, a long standing Electro Detectors distributor were awarded the contract and working closely with the consultants and TVF, Elecro Detectors carried out site surveys to install a networked Zerio Plus system. The new system incorperates 4 Zerio Plus main control panels and a sophisticated wireless network. controlling over 600 field devices, the system was installed with minimal disruption and delivered to the client within budget and timescale.